COUNTRY REPRESENTATIVE TANZANIA
Job: Country Representative Tanzania
Reporting to: Desk Africa
Location: Dar Es Salaam (TANZANIA)
Contract type: consultant 12 months
Apply before: 15th of January
Starting Mission: 1st of March, 2019
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and interviews may commence prior to the advert closing date.
WeWorld is a non-profit non-governmental organization for development cooperation, recognized by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs; we are independent, non-denominational and apolitical. Established in Milan in 1999, WeWorld works in Italy, Asia, Africa and Latin America to defend and promote the woman and child rights.
WeWorld collaborates with a network of other civil-society organizations to give the most vulnerable people a voice on the Italian and international political agenda, and we are involved in the main networks protecting children’s and women’s rights.
WeWorld adopts the approach of human rights as a conceptual and methodological basis for its actions. WeWorld works in seven developing countries in collaboration with local partnering organizations to support or implement projects designed to: protect children, ensure their access to education and health and promote their participation, foster gender equality and women's rights. Education and health are priorities, so the projects are based on a sponsorship program, which is implemented in kindergartens and primary schools.
In Tanzania We World is leading a primary and pre-school-centered education and child protection program in Temeke and Kinondoni Municipalities (Dar es Salaam) and in Ludewa District (Njombe Region) and is supporting a Rescue Center in Dar es Salaam for children, adolescents and youths victims of trafficking, commercial sexual exploitation, domestic work, domestic and sexual violence.
The overall action program is based on community-based projects implemented in partnership with local NGOs and in close cooperation with local authorities, through Memorandum of Understanding.
Scope of the job
The Country Representative will be responsible for the proper execution of the project and the coordination with national and international partners, local authorities and donors. He/She will be also responsible for the supervision and the overall coordination of the activities and human resources of the organization in Tanzania, as well as the development of the intervention strategy at country level in coordination with We World staff in Tanzania and in the HQ. The Country Representative works under the direct supervision of the Desk Officer based in HQ.
- Child Sponsorship Management: to make sure that the We World procedures (child sponsorship Manual) are properly applied
- Projects management, monitoring, reporting, evaluation: to implement general activities of the projects, in accordance with the agreements and yearly plans; to monitor the project progress toward logical framework and budget, even by frequent visits on the field in order to gain a clear understanding of strengths and weaknesses, carry out mitigation measures, when needed, and assure the compliance with to M&V Procedures; to coordinate internal and external evaluations; to assure interim and final project reporting (activity reports and financial reports) in compliance with the set deadlines and procedures;
- Projects’ identification and design: to assess needs, design project proposals and submit them to private and institutional donors
- HR, Administration and Office Management: to ensure a sound management of local Office (human, financial and physical resources, logistics), the annual Audit and reporting in compliance with national rules, coordination with HQ, maintaining frequent contacts with Desk Officers
- Networking: to develop and strengthen relationship with civil society (partnering NGOs, potential new partners and NGOs network), local authorities, thematic clusters, Italian Cooperation Office, UN system, European Commission and all relevant International Cooperation Agencies and Development Partners operating in the country
- Comply with the relevant standard procedures and policies of We World with respect to HR Management, administrative system, Management Model Ethical Code, procedures relating to health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies according to the Dlgs 231/01
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties due to his level of skills and experience.
- At least 5 years of previous experience working with NGOs or international organizations, with increasing responsibility (preferably in childhood and child sponsorship programs)
- At least 2 years of previous experience in the same position, with Country coordination and management of institutional relations.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Master’s degree (preferably in Economic Sciences and / or in Rural Development, Community Based Development)
- Proven experience in coordinating team and projects in a multicultural context, interpersonal and negotiation skills, flexibility in cultural and organizational terms.
- Good organizational skills, time-management and ability to manage responsibilities.
- Strong administrative competencies and good knowledge of the Accountancy procedures of the main international donors
- Ability to assess needs and write new project proposal
- Strong networking capabilities in dealing with stakeholders and, in particular, local authorities, institutions and donors at high levels.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English (mandatory), spoken and written Italian (mandatory) and Kiswahili (an advantage).
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, excellent Excel user
- Preferably previous experience in
Particular consideration to applicants with a previous significant work experience in Tanzania
Skills and Abilities
- Capable of working in team
- Excellent communication skill and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues
- Very flexible, patient and with a positive attitude
- Dynamic and willing to take initiative to complete tasks assigned
- Problem solving skills
- Strong commitment to the Mission of We World, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
How to apply
In Italian or in English, enclosing the following:
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Cover Letter, including the expected salary
Specify three references, indicating telephone numbers and e-mail addresses
Only applications containing the consent to the processing of personal data under D.Lgs.196/2003 will be considered; incomplete applications will not be considered. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
WeWorld Onlus is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Le nostre ricerche di personale sono aperte a tutte le candidature, senza alcuna discriminazione di: nazionalità, religione, genere, età e appartenenza politica. La ricerca è aperta a persone appartenenti a categorie protette. Verranno esaminati i curriculum contenenti l’autorizzazione al Trattamento dei dati personali ai sensi del D.Lgs.196/2003.