COUNTRY REPRESENTATIVE - LEBANON
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Job Title: Country Representative
Type of contract: 12 months with possibility of extension (including a 3 months as probation period)
Starting date: August 2020
Gross salary: To be defined according to the candidate's profile
Application deadline: 10 July 2020
Application procedure: Send your CV and Cover Letter with reference L3 to the link below. Only preselected candidates will be contacted; the applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be awarded before the deadline.
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
WeWorld-GVC has been working in Lebanon since 2006 in emergency, development and LRRD activities. Since the beginning of 2013, WeWorld-GVC has been mainly active in the country responding to the impact of the Syrian crisis, both in direct support of the refugees as well as the hosting communities.
Historically the organization has implemented activities related to basic assistance, WASH service provision and infrastructure; livelihood, protection, education and inclusion activities. Currently WeWorld-GVC works in both Humanitarian and Development, aiming to:
- Provide access to basic assistance;
- Strengthen the protection of vulnerable communities through an integrated community-based approach;
- Enhance socio-economic development;
- Improve local water provision system through No Revenue Water approach.
At present the main donors are: Italian Cooperation (AICS), EU, ECHO, UN.
Within this framework, WeWorld-GVC recruits a Country Representative responsible for the coordination and overall management of actions implemented in water, education, livelihood and shelter with an inclusive and multi-sectorial approach. The CR will be under the direct line management of the Head of Regional office Middle East.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Country office leadership:
- Lead the elaboration and implementation of the country strategy
- Recommend and/or determine priorities and supervise the implementation of project work plans as well as supervise and ensure quality of project reporting to donors
- In collaboration with the relevant staff in WeWorld-GVC Lebanon organigram, establish annual objectives and targets, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and partner oriented deliverables
- Operate within the defined limits of authority on matters of Finance, Procurement and Human Resources and subject to any limits or conditions that may be imposed as per delegated authority
- Support HQ in planning, recruiting, managing and developing a flexible workforce with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance, and ensure gender and geographical diversity
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed
- In consultation with the Security Manager support the duties on security as outlined in the WeWorld-GVC Security manual.
- Keep abreast of and assess the needs of the national government and other WeWorld-GVC partners operating in the country, to identify and plan with them areas for leveraging WeWorld-GVC services/competencies in project delivery
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships in the country through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of WeWorld-GVC competencies in project service delivery and management to develop opportunities and engagements with new partners
- Develop a comprehensive partnership and programme development plan in line with WeWorld-GVC Country Strategic Plan and Regional Strategies to grow the pipeline opportunities in Lebanon
- Examine risks and opportunities presented by the strategic positioning of WeWorld-GVC in Lebanon and propose appropriate responses to ensure sustainable operations
- Lead the identification, design, formulation and negotiation of new projects and programs and draft concept notes and project document briefs for discussion with partners
- Assist the HQ to maintain public/media/donor relations to actively engage their interest/support in promoting and communicating WeWorld-GVC achievements, competencies and interest at global level.
- Manage and oversee the preparation of programme documents (including business cases/strategies, policy briefs, programme plans and risk assessments)
- Implement internal performance and quality control systems for in-country programmes including tracking, monitoring and reporting on project delivery and financials
- Evaluate performance to measure efficacy and alignment of the country with the organizational/regional/country strategies and compliance with WeWorld-GVC standards of accuracy, transparency and accountability and to ensure that service delivery reinforces business development objectives.
Representation and advocacy:
- Represent WeWorld-GVC in Lebanon and be responsible for the management of host country relations and WeWorld-GVC interests in dealing with government, international and local organisations, networks and media in the Area Programme
- Represent WeWorld-GVC in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of WeWorld-GVC
- Develop and strengthen relationships with local organisations and networks and establish national and regional strategic relations and alliances with partners and civil society working in common cause with WeWorld-GVC objectives
- Maintain good partnerships relations at National and International levels
- Promote WeWorld-GVC's organizational identity and capacity to all stakeholders and partners in Lebanon and ensure WeWorld-GVC remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
Knowledge management and innovation:
- Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure WeWorld-GVC is continually incorporating best practices approaches in the delivery of regional portfolio
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, partners and stakeholders
- Establish priorities, in consultation with the Head of Regional office, for targeted investments in growth and innovation, contribute to identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience in working with NGO or International Organization with increasing responsibility and at least 2 years in the required position
- Previous experience in Middle East working in international cooperation
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management or in one of the sectors of intervention
- Knowledge of main donors policies and procedures (UN Agencies, Europe aid, AICS)
- Project Development and proposal writing
- Project Management Cycle knowledge and management
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Computer skills, in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Project
- Valid and clean driving license
Skills and Abilities:
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Ability to perform under stress condition
- Capacity to autonomously work and in problems prevention/resolution
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the NGO values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Knowledge of Arabic and Italian language
Le nostre ricerche di personale sono aperte a tutte le candidature, senza alcuna discriminazione di: nazionalità, religione, genere, età e appartenenza politica. La ricerca è aperta a persone appartenenti a categorie protette. Verranno esaminati i curriculum contenenti l’autorizzazione al Trattamento dei dati personali ai sensi del D.Lgs.196/2003.