MEAL MANAGER - SYRIA
Location: Damascus, Syria, with field travel inside the country
Job Title: MEAL Manager
Type of contract: 4 months renewable
Starting date: 15th of August 2020
Gross salary: To be defined according to the candidate's profile
Application deadline: 9th July 2020
Application procedures: Send your CV and Cover Letter with reference SI3 to the link below. Only preselected candidates will be contacted; the applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be awarded before the deadline.
GVC is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries, GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
The presence of GVC in Syria dates back to 2011, with an emergency education intervention in favour of Iraqi refugees in Aleppo. The programme aimed at improving the quality and the accessibility of educational services for students, with special needs in 12 primary schools in Aleppo. Since 2014, GVC has been providing humanitarian assistance to the Syrian population and IDPs with interventions in different sectors such as Education in Emergency and Wash. At present, the main donors are EU (ECHO), individual countries (AICS) and United Nations.
Within this framework, GVC is recruiting a MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) Manager responsible to design and implement a functional MEAL system at mission level. He/she will design, produce and implement standardized MEAL processes and tools that will be used for all sectors and GVC programmes. The MEAL Manager will design and establish the MEAL team and procedures, supporting the Programmes and Operations departments to implement them successfully. In addition, he/she will also feed in the creation of assessment and reporting tools for the mission.
Main tasks and Responsibilities
The main purpose of the assignment is to establish, manage and consolidate the MEAL Department of GVC in Syria. Eventually, the leadership of the MEAL department will be gradually handed over to identified local staff.
- Plan and establish GVC Syria mission MEAL Department, including -but not limited to- to build staff capacities
- Design, produce and develop specific methodologies and tools for planning, monitoring, evaluation and capitalization of lesson learned, for a remote management context
- Define and develop specific methodologies and tools for accountability and reporting
- Ensure that all processes, methodologies and tools are age/gender sensitive
- Ensure capacity building and participation of GVC staff and beneficiaries in the relevant MEAL activities, as needed
- Provide technical assistance and support GVC Syria mission to implement monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning processes at local levels; in particular, in the collection of quantitative and qualitative information from various sources
- Ensure proper coordination within GVC Syria mission departments
- Lead the conduction of Information Provision and Feedback sessions with beneficiaries and guide beneficiaries seeking help through hotline, field visits, and other complaints and feedback mechanisms with the help of the Accountability Assistant
- Collect and analyse lessons learned, successful practices and recommendations. Furthermore, ensure proper information provision of MEAL experiences among Programme teams of GVC Syria
- Support Programme/Project Managers in the proposal development process in terms of MEAL input (log frames, budgeting for MEAL activities, MEAL narrative plan, etc.)
- Ensure that critical MEAL findings and recommendations are discussed and addressed by Programme teams and management
- Lead the process of mid-term and final evaluation and management responses
- Monitor reporting deadlines and ensure submitting required reports on time
- Ensure accurate data collection and provide grant proposals and reports with accurate and qualitative data
- Supervise the MEAL staff
- Oversee the administrative/logistics duties of the MEAL activities under her/his responsibilities
- Represent GVC Syria in external meetings and provide technical guidance as needed
- Any other subject that might require his/her support in the mission as per request of his/her line manager
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management
- Knowledge of main donors’ policies and procedures (ECHO, UN Agencies, EU, Italian Cooperation)
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Computer skills, in particular MS Office package
- Minimum 3 years of relevant working experience in related fields
- Previous work experience with international NGOs
- Extensive project MEAL experience
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth.
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Ability to perform under stress condition
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Integrity in line with the NGO values and ethical standards
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Previous experience in Syria or in the Syrian crisis context
- Academic background in MEAL
- Knowledge of Arabic and Italian
Le nostre ricerche di personale sono aperte a tutte le candidature, senza alcuna discriminazione di: nazionalità, religione, genere, età e appartenenza politica. La ricerca è aperta a persone appartenenti a categorie protette. Verranno esaminati i curriculum contenenti l’autorizzazione al Trattamento dei dati personali ai sensi del D.Lgs.196/2003.